Tuesday, May 1, 2012

When Noah Started School

I remember it well…the day that my oldest started kindergarten. We’d practiced getting up early and getting ready to go. He’d gone to bed early and eaten a good breakfast. He’d picked out a special outfit and a lunchbox. We’d gathered school supplies.

I walked him to his class, stopping at the door to take the “first day” picture. And then I had to leave. I held back my tears until I got outside so he wouldn’t see. How had this day arrived so fast? Where did the time go? Was he ready? Had his father and I adequately prepared him?



It was an exciting, yet daunting parenting and child transition. We were beginning a new stage of life together. Looking back now, I can see the things I didn’t yet know…his learning style, who his friends would be, what kind of classroom parent I would be and how important his school, the families and staff, would become to our family.

Every parent shares this milestone and most of us, the mixture of worry and excitement. The staff at Imprints has created a series of classes to address these feelings and to better inform parents about what to expect and how to help prepare our children for this transition. “Spring into Kindergarten” offers readiness activities and ways to enhance the home environment, homework suggestions, best ways to communicate with teachers and how to engage your child in discussions about school. Held at The Children’s Museum on three consecutive Mondays (May 7, 14, & 21) from 10-11 am, participants will leave with ideas and activities to help them connect with their child, encourage independence and prepare their child for the world of school. Parents can register at ImprintsForFamilies.org/spring or call me at 722-6296 x205.

We’re just a few months away from the start of a new school year! Let the excitement begin!!

-Julia

1 comment:

  1. Mary Beth Beck-HendersonMay 1, 2012 at 1:03 PM

    Imprints offers developmental screenings. These screenings are great ways to assess your child's readiness for kindergarten, find out what his / her strengths or challenges are and help us provide suggestions for activities to enhance your child's gifts. Please call 336-722-6296 ext 203 if you are interested! It's well worth your time!
    Mary Beth Beck-Henderson,
    Project Coordinator, Imprints

    ReplyDelete